Scotland is ahead of the curve on naming their snowplows, as few as they have.
Minnesota is not to be outdone; there has been a naming contest, enjoy the creativity!
- MnDOT plows 30,400 lane miles of state highways and interstates in Minnesota. One mile of a four-lane road equals four lane miles.
- MnDOT has more than 800 snowplows, including many reserve trucks that provide backup if a snowplow needs maintenance or is damaged.
- 275 MnDOT snowplows are equipped with cameras to give motorists updated views of road conditions, you can see those cameras on 511mn.org.
- MnDOT has more than 1,800 full-time and part-time snowplow drivers statewide. All operators are required to have a valid Class B commercial driver’s license. MnDOT also provides extensive two-week training for new operators each year at Camp Ripley, Minn., and annual refresher training for veteran plow drivers.
- MnDOT has 150 truck stations statewide, with 23 of those in the Twin Cities Metro area.
- Fully equipped trucks weigh as much as 66,000 pounds, 15 times more than an average car.
- The average lifespan of a snowplow is 14 years and a tandem-axle snowplow costs more than $260,000 each.
There were a total of 122,435 unique voters.
|Snowplow name||Number of votes|
|Ain’t Snow Stopping Us Now||7,969|
|Babe the Orange Plow||7,266|
|Blizzard of Oz||12,665|
|Cold Enough for Ya?||4,719|
|Duck Duck Orange Truck||25,824|
|F. Salt Fitzgerald||20,699|
|Fast and the Flurry Less||6,284|
|For Your Ice Only||7,837|
|Frosty the Snowplow||9,108|
|Giiwedin (Ojibwe word for ‘north wind’)||16,041|
|Ičamna (Dakota word for ‘blizzard’)||14,264|
|King of the North||8,099|
|Live, Laugh, Plow||8,378|
|L’Plow du Nord||12,237|
|Mary Tyler More Snow||6,306|
|No Business Like Snow Business||4,990|
|Oh Snow You Didn’t!||9,518|
|Ope, Just Gonna Plow Right Past Ya||29,457|
|Plowin’ in the Wind||4,803|
|Princess Kay of the Snowy Way||5,075|
|Sir Plows A Lot||16,212|
|Snow Place like Home||4,346|
|Snowbi Wan Kenobi||21,568|
|Spirit of ‘91||9,338|
|Tator Tot Hotdish||10,554|
|The Truck Formerly Known as Plow||17,549|